Today, we went to the local state building to register as aliens and get health insurance. In Tokyo each area is considered a "Ward." All foreigners are required to apply for an alien registration card. All citizens and registered aliens are also required to get health insurance. Basically, I will pay a monthly premium (student discount available) and may then visit any doctor for non "luxurious" services at a cost of 30% of the total fee. One thing I noted at the state building is that it provides a really nice crib for parents to lay their infants in while they take care of business - always thinking the Japanese (more on that in "notable items," below).
On our way to the state building, we passed by a temple during services (left). From the sidewalk where I snapped this photo, we could hear the gong(s) and smell the incense. Aside from a few locations, it is free to visit the temples and anyone may take part in services. I'm looking forward to that (blog foreshadowing).
Slot Machine Lunches: As you can see, none of the machine's buttons have any English. for lunch we put our money in the machine to the left and hoped for the best. This vending machine spits out a ticket that one gives to the waitress. Two minutes later a fresh surprise was served. I ended up with a rice bowl, some
Notable items: (a) the toilet seats in office buildings are heated (with control devices to adjust settings - no English); (b) whenever one is sick, it is polite to walk around town with a dust mask; and (c) cabs have automatic hands-free doors that open for you.
7 comments:
hickory - i look forward to reading about your adventures in japan! thanks for sending me the link.
$50 says Hickory returns to the U.S. a Buddhist monk...we shall see.
You will have AMAZING experiences. I love it. Take it all in.....and, thanks for sharing.
K
U Rock! What wonder-filled photos and descriptions- so fun and enriching to share; you make Japan come alive, like warm toilet seats, who would know? You go Hick! I especially like the blogging foreshadowing.......have fun, take care sweetheart. mom
Step up to the plate Hickory! I expect the next blog to contain jellyfish, sea urchin and toxic blowfish on the menu.
hey hick! u Rock!!!!!
the pics are quite special and very moving. so happy to see u so happy! xoxoxoxoox yo mama
hey, could you tell erik's comments were made by mom? silly computers! i love you tons 'n tons. hey to G!
Post a Comment